Could we have a Tip Reuse Shop in Stourbridge?
A tip (Reuse) shop is based at the local household waste site and intercepts items destined for the skips. They are usually run by a charity. The advantages are lots of stuff gets diverted from landfill and gets reused. Also an income is generated for a local charity.
Stourbridge Civic Amenity Site currently doesn’t have any plans for a Reuse / Recycling Shop.
Report on Tip Shop Visit
Staff at both places were very welcoming, enthused and informing.
- Burton Farm Reuse Shop has been opne open for 6 years
- Partnership: Council and Shakespeare Hospice.
- General waste goes to landfill.
- Shop is allowed up to 10 tonnes / month, usually only has 4 tonnes.
- 61% is recycled
- DHL own all the WEEE goods, own pot of money for WEEE collection
- Landfill tax
- Small and large electric goods waste – no cost to tip
- Income from Card, Paper, Metal collected
- £2,500 / tonne copper
- Staff sort out items in the wrong place with hooks
- Site has to pay for wood and green waste to be collected
- Plastic bottles – go to Aveston – made into pipes
- County Council do Road shows to raise awareness
- Soil: collected separately – not charged for, as put on top, but haulage charged for
- Warwickshire County Council don’t send recycling abroad.
- Sita send plastic to Delleve
- Running for 3 – 4 yrs
- Standard weights applied, not individually weighed, to calculate landfill diversion.
- As above, allowed 10 tonnes / month to landfill, only send 4 usually.
- Income pays wage. 13 paid staff over all Action 21 projects.
- Limited partners
- Food link
- Profit goes into ….
- £90 / kg copper
- Another site Sydenham open 3 days / week (industrial area) – bikes too
- Small site, parking limited
- Building materials: bathroom pieces – sinks, toilet
- Canoe / doors / windows